Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012!

As has now become a family tradition, I prepared our "good luck" New Year's meal this morning. My mother-in-law Debra, who is a wonderful cook herself, introduced me to this tradition the first year Cory and I were dating. She and Bill (my father-in-law) had come to visit us for New Year's and insisted I stay for the meal so that I could also have good luck. Although I don't necessarily believe in luck, I must say this meal is so delicious, I am happy to say it continues to be a tradition!

This "good luck" meal consists of the following:
-collard greens
-black eyed peas
-colcannon potatoes
-cornbread
-spiral sliced ham



Collard Greens recipe, courtesy of Mrs. Paula Deen: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/collard-greens-recipe/index.html
Spicey Black Eyed Peas recipe, courtesy of Mrs. Paula Deen: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/spicy-black-eyed-peas-recipe/index.html
cornbread recipe, truly the BEST EVER cornbread recipe we have tried. It is easy to make, fluffy and flavorful! Courtesy of Cooking Light (this is also the cornbread recipe used in the Thanksgiving Cornbread, Chorizo and Jalapeno dressing recipe I posted): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/corn-bread-chorizo-jalapeno-50400000116743/

Colcannon Potatoes recipe:
1 lb of yukon gold potatoes (peeled or unpeeled, your preference)
1/4 - 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped into 2x2" pieces
1 stick of butter
1/2 - 1 c of milk
Salt & pepper, to taste

1. Cook cabbage in boiling water until tender (should be slightly translucent), drain and set aside
2. Cook potatoes in boiling water, until a wooden spoon breaks through them easily
3. While the potatoes are boiling, place 1 stick of butter in your mixing bowl to soften
4. Once potatoes are finished cooking, drain in a colander and put in your mixing bowl
5. Blend potatoes until pretty smooth at a high speed, slowly add milk until the potatoes reach the smooth consistency desired. Add salt & pepper to taste.
6. Once potatoes are to your desired consistency and seasoned, fold in cabbage. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment